As the FIFA World Cup 2018 is closing in on providing us a one-month thriller, we have been throwing some lights on the participating teams in our “Team Talk” series. Today we are going to have a look at the hot favorites of the tournament from Group-F, Germany.
Germany are the defending champions of the tournament, as they lifted the trophy in the last edition of the tournament, beating Argentina in the final.
Coach: Joachim Löw
Captain: Manuel Neuer
Nickname(s): Die Mannschaft
Last Qualified in: 2014
Result in 2014: Champions
Qualified as: UEFA Group C Winners (8th October 2017)
Previous World Cup Appearances: (18 Times) 1934, 1938, 1954, 1958, 1962, 1966, 1970, 1974, 1978, 1982, 1986, 1990, 1994, 1998, 2002, 2006, 2010, 2014.
Best World Cup Finals Result: Champions in 1954, 1974, 1990, 2014.
Goalkeepers: Bernd Leno, Manuel Neuer, Marc-Andre ter Stegen, Kevin Trapp.
Defenders: Jerome Boateng, Matthias Ginter, Jonas Hector, Mats Hummels, Joshua Kimmich, Marvin Plattenhardt, Antonio Rüdiger, Niklas Süle, Jonathan Tah.
Midfielders: Julian Brandt, Julian Draxler, Leon Goretzka, Ilkay Gündogan, Sami Khedira, Toni Kroos, Mesut Özil, Sebastian Rudy.
Forwards: Mario Gomez, Thomas Müller, Nils Petersen, Marco Reus, Leroy Sane, Timo Werner.
1. Manuel Neuer: The Germany skipper was highly doubtful for the tournament following an injury as he did miss the most of the season sitting on the bench for his parent club FC Bayern München. But now, he is likely to make a comeback for his international squad as the skipper and he will be keen on proving himself as the best in the world.
2. Toni Kroos: The midfield maestro is certainly the most important player in the squad. Kroos snatches the ball, delivers to the attackers with utter brilliance. He helped his club Real Madrid to lift the UEFA Champions League for the third time in a row.
3. Joshua Kimmich: The 23-year-old player from FC Bayern München can be considered as one of the most utility players in the world right now, as he can be useful at any of the positions designated to him. The player has helped his club to be crowned as the champions of Germany.
4. Marco Reus: The Borussia Dortmund winger is one of the men to watch for in this edition of the FIFA World Cup. Reportedly, the winger did miss both of his probable world cup opportunities because of injury. So, this world cup might be the perfect platform for the Dortmund star to leave impacts.
5. Mesut Ozil: The Arsenal superstar is certainly one of the most dreadful players in the world as he can create chances out of nothing. He can deliver perfect opportunities for the forwards. Alongside this, his long-range abilities are also one of his key attributes.
6. Thomas Muller: The goal-machine from FC Bayern München is certainly the biggest threat to the opposing defense. The 28-year-old forward is already in the race to become the all-time top goal scorer in the history of the FIFA World Cup. In addition, his records in German colors are highly admirable.
Germany have been phenomenal according to their recent form as they have been unbeaten for 22 games before they lost to Brazil in an international friendly against Brazil on 18th March 2018. They also have won the FIFA Confederations Cup resting the big fishes of their squad in the last year. So, they can sheerly take pride in their recent form.
Germany have been drawn in Group F along with Mexico, Sweden, and South Korea. They will flag off their campaign against Mexico in their opening match on 17th of June 2018 followed by Sweden and South Korea on 23rd and 27th June respectively.
Despite being in a competitive group, Germany are expected to beat the hurdles of the group stages with such ease. In fact, they are expected to be one of the hot favorites of the tournament. So, it will not be much of surprise, if the defending champions successfully defend their crown.
Do you think Germany can win World Cup again? Comment below!
Photo by jikatu