The 2018 FIFA World Cup is set to commence in less than a month time, but the eventful 2017-18 campaign has one last business left in Saturday night when champions Real Madrid will lock horns with Liverpool, the surprise finalists, in the prestigious Champions League final.
Real Madrid, on a mission to win their third successive Champions League glory, are indeed the favourites to lift the title. Meanwhile, the Reds will be enjoying the minnows tag similar to 2005 which witnessed a massive turn around when the Merseysiders were down by 3-0 in the first half against mighty A.C. Milan but scripted a miraculous comeback to earn their fifth European crown. Los Blancos, however, have won it a record 12 times and are high on confidence to add yet another feather to their glorious history.
Real Madrid vs Liverpool Injuries And Suspensions:
The Madrid giants have no injury concern and their gaffer Zinedine Zidane will have a fully fit squad to select his starting lineup from.
Liverpool, on the other hand, will be without Joel Matip, Joe Gomez and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain who are ruled out for months with their respective thigh, ankle and knee injuries. However, Emre Can has made it to the squad travelling to Kiev and might make it to the bench in his final appearance for the English giants before joining Juventus next month on a Bosman deal upon expiration of his Liverpool contract.
Real Madrid vs Liverpool Probable Lineups:
Subs: Kiko Casiilla, Jesus Vallejo, Isco, Lucas Vazquez, Marco Asensio, Mateo Kovacic, Nacho.
Subs: Simon Mignolet, Ragnar Klavan, Alberto Moreno, Emre Can, Adam Lallana, Danny Ings, Nathaniel Clyne.
Real Madrid vs Liverpool Last Meeting:
These two sides met each other in a group league tie during the 2014-15 season and the return leg outing at Santiago Bernabeu ended in a 1-0 win for the hosts. Karim Benzema scored the solitary goal of the game, having already netted twice in the Anfield encounter which saw them clinching a comprehensive 3-0 victory. Cristiano Ronaldo scored the other goal in the first-leg fixture.
Real Madrid vs Liverpool Key Players:
Star-studded Real Madrid have plenty of match-winners in their squad. Ronaldo has already netted 15 times in this competition much more the return of Gareth Bale offers further strength in Real’s attack. Karim Benzema is known for stepping up on the biggest of occasions whereas Isco and Marco Asensio can be lethal as well in their attacking third. Luka Modric, Toni Kroos and Casemiro will dominate the midfield game.
Liverpool’s fate vastly relies on red-hot Mohamed Salah who has bagged 44 goals so far in 51 appearances for his new club. Sadio Mane and Roberto Firmino will pose threat on the opponent’s defensive line whereas James Milner and Jordan Henderson must step up and continue their scintillating form in the middle of the park.
Real Madrid vs Liverpool Stats And Facts:
- -Spain’s Real Madrid have won the title on 12 occasions — in 1956, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1960, 1966, 1998, 2000, 2002, 2014, 2016 and 2017 — and have triumphed in their last six finals.
- – Madrid are the first side to reach three straight Champions League finals since Juventus, who achieved the feat between 1996 and 1998.
- – England’s Liverpool have won the title five times — in 1977, 1978, 1981, 1984, 2005.
- – The two teams have met five times in the European Cup with Liverpool winning three games and Madrid two. Liverpool have scored six goals while Madrid have scored four.
- – The match is a repeat of the 1981 title clash where Liverpool prevailed 1-0 in Paris thanks to defender Alan Kennedy’s 82nd-minute goal. That result was Madrid’s last defeat in the final of the competition.
- – A win for Real will make them the first team to claim three straight European Cup titles twice. Ajax (1971–73) and Bayern Munich (1974–76) are the only others to win three titles in a row.
Source: The Star Online
Real Madrid vs Liverpool Current Form (In All Competitions):
Real Madrid: D-W-L-D-D-W
Real Madrid vs Liverpool Betting Odds (Subject To Change):
Real Madrid vs Liverpool Live Streaming:
The game is scheduled for Sunday from 12:15 a.m. IST and will be telecast on Sony Ten 1 and Ten 2 for the Indian viewers. It will also be streamed in Sony Liv app, however, for online streaming links send us a message to our official Facebook page.