The India-South Africa ODI series starts today and the cricket fans around the world can be again assured of guaranteed entertainment from the 6 match series.
After a late comeback win in the final test, that saw the visitors avoid a whitewash, the stage is nicely set for a good showdown between the two rivals. Here, we list down 3 players each to look out for in the upcoming series.
1) AB De Villiers: Abraham Benjamin De Villiers is the perfect definition of the modern day cricketer. The man with the fastest ever international century will once again be the centre of attraction. “Mr. 360” produced a strong comeback performance in the test series that saw him score the highest amongst the Proteas and second overall. The onus will once again fall on the man who is just 485 runs short of being the 12th man in history to reach 5 figures in ODI cricket.
2) Quinton De Kock: The 25-year old is considered to be the one of the best batsmen who wield the gloves behind the stumps. Blessed with immense shot playing ability with a cool and calm head over his shoulders, he is also considered to be one of the best wicket keepers of the era. For the hosts to record back to back series victories in both Tests and ODIs, the skilful left hander will need to be on top of his game.
3) Chris Morris: South Africa has always produced world class bowling all-rounders. From Jacques Kallis to Albie Morkel, to now Chris Morris. The 30-year old is one of the most sought after all-rounders in the shorter formats of the game. With an ability to bowl fast, thanks to his 6 ft 4 in tall frame, the Pretorian is also a very clean hitter of the ball lower down the order. Even though the stats don’t speak for his abilities, he will surely be one player to watch out for.
1) Virat Kohli: The Indian captain has been one of the most consistent performers in world cricket over the past few years. The 29-year old is currently 2nd in tests, 3rd in T20 and 1st in ODIs. The ICC Cricketer of the Year 2017 was the highest scorer overall in the recently concluded Test series against South Africa. It is safe to say that no cricket fan can afford to miss him in action in the ODI series as well.
2) Rohit Sharma: It seems that Rohit Sharma transforms into a different player when it comes to limited overs cricket. The man with the incredible feat of scoring 3 double hundreds in ODIs will surely be the one to stay glued to the television sets for. Even with the critics questioning his probable success on the bouncy pitches of the Rainbow nation, we hope “Hitman” will resume his ODI form pretty soon.
3) Hardik Pandya: Hardik Pandya is the new rock-star of Indian cricket. The 24-year old all-rounder has become an undisputed part of the Indian team in limited overs cricket. The Baroda man recently got a huge confidence booster after scoring a brilliant 93 in the first test against South Africa, at Cape Town. Come 1st February and Hardik will be ready to strike terror into the minds of the Proteas with his vital bowling, excellent fielding and explosive batting.
Who is your best bet for the upcoming India-South Africa series? Comment below!