The IPL 2018 will come with a new flavour as the franchise teams will have a reshape with the auction coming within a couple of weeks.
But all the teams had a choice to keep three players at most and they can again re buy two more players in the auction with their Right to Match option, where the old franchise can use it to take a player who were previously in their side despite of not involving themselves in the auction this time for the player.
The return of Chennai Super Kings and Rajasthan Royals were announced and both the sides could choose to retain the players they wanted to keep from their previous squad before the ban.
IPL Retention Facts:
Some surprises came along the IPL retention policy as there were some big names that missed while teams that were not expected to hold on to anybody made their choices to stick with some of their previous players.
- Kolkata Knight Riders didn’t retain their captain of the previous seven years Gautam Gambhir, despite of the fact the left handed batsman has been in form this season.
- Delhi Daredevils, who were expected to let go everybody surprisingly retained the maximum players they could retain, three it is.
- Stars like Chris Gayle and Lasith Malinga were not retained, while Glenn Maxwell and David Miller also will be in the auction as Punjab opted to let them go.
- Sunrisers Hyderabad, the 2016 IPL champions opted to retain David Warner and Bhuvneshwar Kumar.
- Ricky Ponting has been appointed as the new Delhi coach, who has been the underachievers in the last seasons.
- Suresh Raina was retained by CSK which was a surprise to many, as the Indian batsman has been out of the national team scene for some time now.
- Sarfaraz Khan was a huge pick for RCB, as they may think him one for the future and retained him over the likes of Gayle, Starc and others.
Complete List of Retained Players:
Chennai Super Kings:
MS Dhoni, Suresh Raina, Ravindra Jadeja
Kolkata Knight Riders:
Sunil Narine, Andre Russell
Rohit Sharma, Hardik Pandya, Jasprit Bumrah
David Warner, Bhuvneshwar Kumar
Kings XI Punjab:
Royal Challengers Bangalore:
Virat Kohli, AB de Villiers, Sarfaraz Khan
Rishabh Pant, Shreyas Iyer, Chris Morris