In the early 1990s, Indian cricket introduced the world a spinning genius, who later want on to becoming one of the stalwarts of Indian cricket, Anil Kumble. As a leg spinner he was quite uncanny and lethal, but his fighting attitude and never say never approach has given him another level of respect among the billions of cricket fans in India.
Since those early years, he has proved to be a spinning wizard in both home and away conditions. While the Karnataka born was a legend in bowling, he could do a fair bit of batting as well.
|Test debut (cap 192)||9 August 1990 v England|
|Last Test||29 October 2008 v Australia|
|ODI debut (cap 78)||25 April 1990 v Sri Lanka|
|Last ODI||19 March 2007 v Bermuda|
He picked up a total of 619 wickets in Tests and 337 wickets in ODIs. He had 35 5 wicket hauls in Tests and 2 in the One dayers. Anil Kumble also is the only Indian who took 10 wickets in an innings.
Kumble got his only batting milestone hundred in the flag end of his career, a test hundred in England in 2007.
The Legend Himself:
The Indian legend was the part of India’s Fab Five that consisted the likes of Saurav Ganguly, Sachin Tendulkar, Rahul Dravid, VVS Laxman as the others. Kumble turns 47 today as the veteran still remains one of the fighting characters even off the field. His contribution in the Indian cricket has been immense, known as one of the gentlemen of the game, Anil Kumble has been globally respected and hailed by the cricketing fraternity.
- Kumble holds the record for getting 10 wickets in a single innings of a test match. He is the second one to do this after Jim Laker.
- Most Test Wickets by Indian and third in the world, with 619 wickets behind Muttiah Muralitharan & Shane Warne
- Most International wickets by Indian and third in the world, with 956 wickets behind Muttiah Muralitharan & Shane Warne
- Most ODI Wickets by Indian with 337 wickets
- Kumble holds the record for the most wickets in a calendar year by an Indian in ODIs with 61 wickets in 1996
- He holds the Indian record of taking most ODI wickets in a particular ground. He took 56 wickets in Sharjah Cricket Stadium.
- Kumble holds the record of bowling 40850 balls in entire Test career, which is highest for an Indian and second highest overall.
Today on his 47th birthday, we shall take a look back in five of his countless best performances with the ball for team India.
5. 7/48 vs Australia, Cheepauk Chennai:
Kumble was quite lethal in this game and wrapped up the Aussie 1st innings single handedly.
4. 7/63 vs Pakistan, Eden Gardens Kolkata:
Match winning effort by Anil Kumble vs Pakistan at Eden Gardens, Kolkata. In the 2nd test of the 3 match series, Pakistan were chasing 422 and the legend Anil Kumble left them in tatters.
3. 6/12 vs West Indies, Kolkata:
This was the final of the Hero Cup in 1993. Kumble was making a name for himself already but this match he showed his immense class as star studded Carribean batting line up fell like house of cards in front of Kumble’s googlies and flippers. Kumble dismantled the middle and lower order of West Indies and India won by 102 runs to win the tournament.
2. 5/33 vs New Zealand, Wellington:
This features as number two because it was one of his match winning bowling display abroad. The Kiwis were a decent side that time but Kumble knocked them over with another mesmerizing performance.
1. 10/74 vs Pakistan, Delhi:
This performance is not only a monumental one, but a historic one as well. India were trailing the series against arch rivals Pakistan and in came Anil Kumble to rescue them in the Kotla test. He took all the 10 wickets of the Pakistanis in the second innings to give India a historic win.