Arsenal came away with a narrow win in the 3rd round of the English League Cup aka Carabao Cup against League 1 side Doncaster Rovers. The Gunners managed a 1-0 win as Theo Walcott scored the solitary goal.
Arsene Wenger made some predictable changes to his starting eleven as David Ospina came in goal. Mertesacker came in defense and two reserves stars Reiss Nelson and Ainslay Maitland Niles started as both wing backs. Alexis Sanchez and Giroud also started for the Gunners as they dominated possession in the early minutes. Olivier Giroud’s outrageous bicycle kick came off the post, but soon after on 25th minute Arsenal took the lead through Theo Walcott from a dink lob pass from the Chilean.
The minnows put up a respectable fight and in the second half Arsenal’s approach was a bit complacent. Doncaster had their moments but couldn’t seize one as the Gunners held on to get a victory and advance to the next round of Carabao Cup.
- Arsenal’s Jack Wilshere made a comeback to the team as he started for the first time since 2016 and he had some bright moments. His passing and hold up play along with movements was encouraging and Wenger admitted that he is slowly coming back to his best.
- Theo Walcott scored a good goal but apart from that he was largely anonymous in the game.
- Calum Chambers had a good first half where he looked comfortable on the ball and did well. But unfortunately he sustained an injury and came off at half time.
Arsenal Line-Up: Ospina; Chambers (Da Silva), Mertesacker, Holding; Nelson (Willock), Maitland Niles; Elneny, Wilshere, Sanchez, Walcott (Iwobi); Giroud
- Arsenal will host West Brom in the Premier League on Monday night, before their trip to Belarus to play BATE Borisov.
- Doncaster will travel to face Plymouth Argyle in League 1 on Saturday.