Arsene Wenger faced the media on Sunday after Arsenal’s Emirates Cup defeat against Sevilla and he was in front of many questions regarding the future and availability ofmany of his players. He faced the media and gave an indication of the current state of those players.
Here is his comments on those players-
- Shkodran Mustafi: Mustafi will come back this week and Arsene confirmed that he will have to assess him but predicts that the German will be short to feature this weekend in the Community Shield.
- Kieran Gibbs: Wenger confirmed that he was supposed to play against Boreham Wood for the Arsenal reserves but couldn’t because he was sick. As for now, he has still a year of contract and anything can happen. He directly never said that he is going to leave but also didn’t say that he is in his plans.
- Lucas Perez: Wenger said the Spaniard is injured and he expects him to feature during the course of the season, surprisingly when he is heavily linked with a move away. He also confirmed that they have sorted out the Shirt number saga internally when he was asked about that.
- Francis Coquelin: “He looks like he has a scan tomorrow and I don’t think he will be available for the weekend. He doesn’t look bad, but he will not be available,” Wenger said, and also confirmed that the French midfielder has an ankle ligament injury.
- Alexis Sanchez: Alexis is coming back on Monday night according to the Arsenal manager and he believes that the Chilean will stay. He said that he will have to monitor his physical state and then decide whether the two time Copa America winner will miss the start of the season or not.
Arsene was asked about the fans worrying about Alexis leaving, and the Frenchman was on his stance strong and replied that everybody has to go one day but Arsenal Football Club will keep moving on, and he can’t do anything to stop that.
Arsenal start their campaign with the Community Shield match this weekend against the reigning Premier League champions Chelsea.