Arsenal will dawn the new season with the traditional curtain raiser in the form of Community Shield against Chelsea next week before they kickstart the Premier League campaign on following Friday night against Leicester at home. And there are some changes expected in the Arsenal line up next season, at least in the early matches of Premier League.
Wenger revealed earlier this pre season that he will opt for a three man backline at the start of the season. He said that sometimes the team will field with traditional four defenders but his revolutionary three centre back option will prevail in the early matches. Along with that the new system features two more ambitious wing backs and a solitary striker. So it will be more of a 3-4-2-1 formation for the Gunners.
- Goalkeeper: At goal,it definitely will be Petr Cech. He is the undisputed numero uno at Arsenal and he will start the league matches. Now for the cups,it was David Ospina but this season there may will be Argentine Emiliano Martinez who has done exceedingly well in the pre season. Also Ospina is poised to leave Arsenal and that will open the door for Martinez.
- Keeper: Petr Cech
- Defense: Arsene Wenger stated in the pre season that he plans to start the season with a three men back line. Now if he sticks to that, then Arsenal will be opting for Laurent Koscielny, Shkodran Mustafi and Nacho Monreal as their first choice centre backs. Gabriel is injured and Mertesacker on his last season may give young Holding a nod ahead of them. Hector Bellerin and Sead Kolasinac will operate the wing back positions. Young emerging reserves like Reiss Nelson and Ainslay Maitland-Niles have been a part of Arsenal pre season tour but it is evident that they are still not ahead in the pecking order.
- Defenders: Laurent Koscielny, Nacho Monreal, Shkodran Mustafi, Hector Bellerin, Sead Kolasinac
- Central Midfield: With the absence of Santi Cazorla, Arsenal’s midfield dynamics has been somewhat subdued, but the likes of Francis Coquelin, Granit Xhaka and Aaron Ramsey will be slotted there. Xhaka has been more towards mediocrity while Coquelin lost his spark at the last phase of the season. Ramsey has done well and he may partner either Xhaka or Coquelin there. But Oxlade Chamberlain looked sensational in the central role and his runs from midfield and passing was quite laudable. So it won’t be a surprise if Wenger lets Ox have a juncture at the holding role.
- Central Midfielders: Aaron Ramsey, Granit Xhaka/Alex Oxlade Chamberlain
- Attacking Midfield: There will be two attacking midfielders at either side behind the striker. These roles are expected to be given to Mesut Ozil and Alexis Sanchez, assuming that the Chilean will stay. Walcott, Welbeck and Iwobi have played on the wings in the past but Wenger may ploy his best players from the start there.
- Attacking Midfield: Alexis Sanchez, Mesut Ozil
- Striker: It is easy to speculate or predict who the lone striker will be. It has to be the record signing Alexandre Lacazette. Already there has been signs of link up play between Lacazette and Ozil and Wenger will hope that partnership will flourish with more game time together. The former Lyon striker also is lethal in front of goal and that will give him a nod ahead of Giroud. But Olivier Giroud and Danny Welbeck, both will play significant role in the course of the season but I believe Wenger will opt for Lacazette in the early days.
- Striker: Alexandre Lacazette
Lacazette came from Lyon and is Arsenal’s record signing
- Possible Line-up: