Liverpool’s aspiration of Champions League football lies in three remaining Premier League fixtures of this campaign. Their weekend encounter against Southampton at Anfield is going to be the most crucial outing considering the current scenario and a win will almost secure their place in top four ahead of closest competitors Manchester United and Arsenal.
Liverpool’s last gameweek win against Watford will boost their confidence up, however, they should avoid any further stumble like their previous Anfield meeting against the Sunday opponent in EFL Cup semifinal back in January and wont jeopardize their season goals at climax.
Liverpool vs Southampton Injury Updates:
Liverpool will be boosted by the news of Philippe Coutinho’s return in full training as he suffered dead leg against the Hornets last gameweek and was forced off the pitch early into the game. But the Reds will once again be without Danny Ings, Sadio Mane and skipper Jordan Henderson who are not expected to return before next campaign.
Southampton forward Charlie Austin and young left-back Matt Targett are close to return to full fitness following their long-standing shoulder and thigh injuries, however, the Liverpool game will be too early to go for the duo. Their star defender Virgil Van Dijk is still out with foot injury alongside custodian Alex McCarthy who is sidelined with hamstring strain.
Liverpool vs Southampton Probable Lineups:
Liverpool vs Southampton Last Meeting:
Their last Premier League meeting at Anfield ended all square. Christian Benteke broke the deadlock towards the end for Liverpool but current Reds winger Sadio Mane equalized in closing minutes.
Liverpool vs Southampton Key Players:
Liverpool will rely on former Southampton midfielder Adam Lallana who returned to the squad last week against Warford. The Samba Boys Roberto Firmino and Philippe Coutinho are expected to continue their good run of form. Not to forget German midfielder Emre Can, whose sublime bicycle kick earned the Reds three points against Watford at Vicarage Road.
Nathan Redmond, Manolo Gabbiadini and Dusan Tadic have been in fine form for the Saints and are expected to test the nervy backline of Liverpool. Midfielder Oriol Romeu had a massive influence in Southampton midfield throughout the season. Romeu vs Can in midfield is a key talking point ahead of this Sunday encounter.
Liverpool vs Southampton Managers’ Speak:
“Not reaching Champions League would not be the end of the world. But I am not ready to think about that as it doesn’t make sense.” – Jurgen Klopp
“It’s an opportunity to show our level. We need to defend together and play our football when we have the ball.” – Claude Puel
Liverpool vs Southampton Match Facts:
- Liverpool are yet to score against Southampton in three games this season, drawing 0-0 in the Premier League in November and losing 1-0 in both legs of the EFL Cup semi-final.
- The Reds have also failed to beat Southampton in all three league meetings since Jurgen Klopp became their manager (D2, L1).
- However, Southampton’s only Premier League win in their last five visits to Anfield came in September 2013 courtesy of a goal from Dejan Lovren, now at Liverpool (D1, L3).
- They have earned 20 points from their last nine matches (W6, D2, L1), second only to Tottenham over the same period.
- Nonetheless, they are in danger of recording successive league defeats at Anfield for the first time since September 2012.
- Jurgen Klopp has an identical record to predecessor Brendan Rodgers after 65 league games in charge of Liverpool: W33, D18, L14.
- There have been a league-high 208 goals scored in those 65 matches under the German, an average of 3.2 per game.
- Liverpool have scored 16 Premier League goals in the 15 minutes before half-time this season, more than any other side.
- Klopp could, for the first time, name the same Liverpool starting XI for a fourth successive Premier League game.
- Claude Puel’s side have only taken two points from nine games this season against sides in the top six prior to the weekend fixtures (D2, L7).
- Saints have won three of their last five Premier League away games, following a run of only two victories in 12.
- Seven of Southampton’s 11 Premier League wins in 2016-17 have come on a Sunday.
- They must win their remaining five matches to avoid finishing the season with their lowest points tally in four years.
- Manolo Gabbiadini scored four goals in his first three Premier League appearances but has subsequently failed to score in four games, managing just one shot on target.
- Claude Puel is unbeaten in all five competitive matches as a manager against Liverpool (W3, D2).
Source: BBC Sport
Liverpool vs Southampton Current Form (Latest Result First):
Liverpool vs Southampton Betting Odds (Subject to Change):
Liverpool vs Southampton Live Streaming:
The game is scheduled on Sunday afternoon from 6:00 pm IST and will be telecast on Star Sports Select HD1 and Hotstar for our Indian viewers. However, for online streaming links, send us a message to our official Facebook page.