Jurgen Klopp has urged the Anfield crowd to roar once again on Sunday evening when they encounter West Ham United following a chaotic 3-4 defeat against Bournemouth last weekend.
Liverpool are currently third in the league table and four points behind the league leaders Chelsea. West Ham United, on the other hand, are having a dreadful campaign with just a point above the drop zone. The Hammers boss Slaven Bilic, who enjoyed a successful debut campaign with a seventh placed finish last season, is under further pressure after last weekend’s disastrous 1-5 home defeat against Arsenal and will be looking for at least a point over the mighty Reds.
Liverpool’s 15 game unbeaten streak in all competitions was finally ended last Sunday when they suffered a shocking defeat at Dean Court against Bournemouth despite leading by a two-goal margin twice into the game. The Reds are determined to get back into winning ways against the Hammers who did a double over Liverpool last season.
Liverpool vs West Ham United Injury Update
Defender Joel Matip is back in training after missing out the Bournemouth fixture with a knock. But Philippe Coutinho is out for at least four more weeks with ankle ligament injury, whereas Danny Ings is set to miss the rest of the season yet again with another devastating knee injury. Daniel Sturridge is yet to recover from his calf injury and Klopp has no idea when he will be back.
West Ham United have a double injury boost as Michail Antonio and Aaron Cresswell, two of their stars, are set to return to face the Reds. But Cheikhou Kouyate is yet to recover from his groin strain whereas, Diafra Sakho, James Collins, Sam Byram and Gokhan Tore are out with thigh injuries. Youngster Reece Oxford, too, is out for an indefinite period of time with an ankle ligament injury.
Liverpool vs West Ham United Probable Line-ups
Subs: Simon Mignolet, Ragnar Klavan, Lucas Leiva, Georginio Wijnaldum, Alberto Moreno, Ben Woodburn, Ovie Ejaria.
West Ham United:
Subs: Adrian, Sofiane Feghouli, Ashley Fletcher, Havard Nordtveit, Andre Ayew, Andy Carroll, Arthur Masuaku.
Liverpool vs West Ham United Key Players
Liverpool will bank on in-form Divock Origi who has netted in three back to back games. Also, return of Joel Matip is expected to strengthen their nervy backline who conceded four goals against the Cherries. The trio of Roberto Firmino, Sadio Mane and Adam Lallana will ‘gegenpress’ their opponent in order to break the deadlock.
West Ham United will be boosted by the return of Michail Antonio who has been in great form for the Hammers. Dimitri Payet, too, has been a revolution since his arrival in English football. However, all eyes will be on striker Andy Carroll who is set to return to Anfield to face his former employers.
Liverpool vs West Ham United Last Meeting:
The Reds were hammered 0-3 in their last league meeting at Anfield when Manuel Lanzini, Mark Noble and Diafra Sakho netted for the Gunners.
Liverpool vs West Ham United Managers’ Speak:
“West Ham will be a tough challenge for us, it will be an interesting game, but we will be angry.” – Jurgen Klopp
“The only way to get out of this situation is by working hard and we have had good training sessions this week.” – Slaven Bilic
Liverpool vs West Ham United Match Facts:
- West Ham secured their first league double over Liverpool last season since 1963-64, scoring five goals without reply.
- The Hammers’ 3-0 victory at Anfield in August 2015 ended a run of 42 league visits without a win.
- They scored as many goals in that game as they had in their previous 13 league fixtures at Anfield.
- Liverpool’s defeat against Bournemouth last weekend ended their 11-match unbeaten run in the league.
- They have yet to lose successive Premier League matches under Jurgen Klopp.
- The previous three Premier League games to involve Liverpool on a Sunday this campaign have all produced seven goals (21 in total).
- Klopp’s side have scored 13 league goals from set pieces this season, the most in the division prior to this weekend’s matches.
- Sadio Mane has scored 11 goals in his last 10 Premier League home appearances for Southampton and Liverpool.
West Ham United
- West Ham are winless in their last five league games, losing three and drawing two.
- The Hammers have conceded 29 goals in their opening 14 matches this season, their worst tally at this stage of a top-flight campaign since 1988-89.
- Slaven Bilic’s team have made a league-high six individual errors leading to opposition goals in 2016-17.
- They have scored an unrivalled 23 headed goals in the Premier League since Bilic became manager at the beginning of last season.
[Source: BBC Sport]
Current Form ( Latest Result First)
West Ham United: L-D-L-D-L
Liverpool vs West Ham United Betting Odds (Subject to Change)
Liverpool: 3/10 Draw: 9/2 West Ham United: 10/1
Liverpool vs West Ham United Streaming Update
The game will be telecast on Star Sports Select HD1 at 11:00 p.m. IST ( Sunday, 11 Dec) for Indian viewers. However, for online streaming links, send us a message in our official Facebook page.
Photo by Tom Cuppens