Manchester United could have the perfect week with their arch rivals Manchester City losing at home and Liverpool losing against the Cherries in an horrible way. But Fellaini came today between Manchester United and 3 points.
Manchester United did not have the perfect game in any ways. There were sloppy plays from them through out which mainly started by losing the possession in the mid way. Things have definitely improved compared to their last EPL outing against West Ham and they could have easily gone home with an away win, if not for the mishap from Fellaini. In a closely contested game, we have found few major talking points.
1. Poor refereeing: Manchester United might have been the better side most of the times, but they were definitely saved by poor refereeing by Michael Oliver and co. Marcos Rojo was way off the limits in the double footed challenge. His horrendous challenge can be easily compared with the tackle that David Luiz put up against Manchester United. David Luiz was not sent off that day too. There are some serious referring issue at the Premier League, which is needed to be sorted out.
2. Marcos Rojo is terrible: He is not the man that Manchester United needs, but they don’t have any option really. Lack of squad depth has hurt Manchester United very hard and they are dropping points mainly because of this.
3. Marouane Fellaini’s golden touch: It is pretty much summed up in just the words of the fans-
“2 minutes, 1 touch, 1 foul, 1 penalty conceded, 1 yellow card – that’s Marouane Fellaini! #NoSlangIsEnough“.
Fellani gives away a penalty with his 1st touch under 2 minutes of appearance at Goodison Park on his 100th appearance for Man United. Just touchwood from ex-Evertonian.
4. Ordinary from the top rated team: Manchester United has spent way over 200 million in the past few summer transfer windows just to gather a world class player. They could not have formed the team and sacked Louis Van Gaal, David Moyes. They have gathered one of the highest paid managers of the game, but they have failed miserably there too. There might be some problems and they need to be sorted out soon.
5. Everton has gone downhill: Everton has not got the perfect solution after the departure of David Moyes. Everton have spent a lot, but the new manager could not implement the signings. Defensively they are quite poor and could concede 4 or more against Chelsea or Manchester City. Offensively the dip in form of Romelu Lukaku has hurt them the most.
These were our top 5 talking points of the game. What are your views? Let us know in the comments below.
Photo by Ali F. Al-Saeed