Anil Kumble was appointed as the Indian coach after the T20 World Cup this year. After the seection, a section of pundits made a lot of noise about the omission of Ravi Shastri and accused Sourav Ganguly, but their mouth has been shut as the newly coached Indian team have been scintillating so far since the charge of Kumble.
India won the test series in West Indies, beat New Zealand in all formats and now have taken a well deserved lead in the Test Series against England. But before a coach, Anil Kumble is remembered as a legend in Indian cricket for his gutsy nature and leg spin bowling.
Today we shall know five interesting facts about Anil Kumble’s career-
- The legendary leg spinner started his career as a fast bowler. But his fast bowling didn’t work and he turned into a leg spinner, thankfully.
- Anil Kumble is the highest wicket taker for India in both Test and ODI formats. The leg spinner has bagged 619 test wickets and 337 ODI wickets in his career, making the total tally to an enormous 956 wickets. He also is the 2nd man in history to have taken 10 wickets in an innings.
- After his retirement, Kumble was elected president of the Karnataka State Cricket Association in November 2010. He also served as chairman of the National Cricket Academy in Bangalore and headed the BCCI’s technical committee from 2012 to 2015.
- The 45-year-old Kumble is the first Indian to be appointed full-time India coach since Kapil Dev resigned in September 2000. He will succeed Zimbabwean Duncan Fletcher, whose term ended in March 2015 after the 50-over World Cup in Australia and New Zealand.
- Anil Kumble also captained India in 14 test matches since his tenure from November 2007. India won Test Series against Pakistan under his captaincy, also won that famous test in Perth against Australia.
The Revolutionary Skills:
Since Anil Kumble has taken his role, it is quite vivid that the Indian team has found the right person for their progress. Some of his revolutionary thoughts have improved the morale of the team, also he has injected the degree of discipline among the current players, which has been another aspect of his coaching skills.
- Beside a tactician, Anil Kumble’s thoughts to integrate the team as a unit has been laudable. He has implemented some disciplines in the team, breaking of which leads to fine of the guilty players. It has definitely made the team more self-restraint, which has reflected both on and off the field.
- He has been able to connect with the boys easily. During the Tests, Kumble has made it clear that his door is always open if any players wants to chat about any problem.
- Kumble is the perfect foil to Kohli. The flamboyant, expressive Indian captain just needs a man like Anil Kumble beside him to reach to that optimum level. The calm, pragmatic and resilient mentality of Kumble along with the fire and passion of Kohli can take the Indian cricket to new level, so far which has been so good.
- The vision of Anil Kumble to develop and nurture a young starlet has reflected through the likes of Jayant Yadav and others. Indian team were stagnant, the arrival of a new face in Kumble has just awaken the sleeping potential of the unit. The cucumber brain of Anil has been the engine to Men in Blue’s resurgence to the top of Test Rankings. Hopefully many more glory awaits for the Indian fans.
Photo by public.resource.org