England are dominating India form the 2011 test series. From 4-0 white wash at their own soil to a 2-1 victory at India in 2012-13 and again a home series win by 3-1 in 2014 – they performed better in all accounts.
Now, this is India’s chance to take revenge on them in the home soil. The Indian side were almost invincible in their last two home series against New Zealand and South Africa in tests. On a turning track Ashwin, Jadeja and Mishra were a mystery in front of the visiting countries, but in 2012-13 England came up with an answer for India’s turning track. Cook and Peterson’s batting and Monty Panesar and Graeme Swann’s bowling were their medicine.
And now, standing in 2016, India is hosting England for 5 test match series and here is small analysis on who can be the stars of this test series.
1) Virat Kohli: Name of the India test skipper should obviously come first in the list. His sensible batting in 2nd order is India’s one of the biggest hope to dominate the British brigade. Kohli is equally good in making slow and steady innings as well as making quick runs whenever his team requires. With his good form he can be easily India’s top scorer in this series.
2) Ravichandran Ashwin: He is currently No. 1 all rounder in test cricket and is India’s biggest hope. Though he was not so effective in 2012-13 series against England but his current performances against South Africa, West indies and New Zealand were fantastic. Not only with his bowling he could be also effective with the bat and we got its proof in the first test match itself.
3) Ravindra Jadeja: This left arm orthodox is becoming India’s one of the most essential part. In Indian condition he could be handful with both bat and ball. Jaddu could be very much useful in making quick runs when it is required and Jaddu-Ashwin combination may become headache for England if every thing goes well in India’s favor.
4) Murali Vijay: Vijay is the most steady test opener for India. He is doing pretty well from past few years in both home soil and overseas. From a destructive batsman in IPL to a steady opener in tests, Vijay has changed his batting style a lot and is India’s dependable opener right now.
5) Cheteshwar Pujara: He was successful against England in 2012-13, being India’s highest run scorer with 438 runs. He is in fine form and also scored a century in the first innings of the series. India’s performance in this series will very much depend on how Pujara will play in 1st down.
1) Adil Rashid: The first name should be Rashid. He could do a Panesar for this England squad. Rashid had already proved himself in first test and could be the highest wicket taker for England in this test series. India have to be careful while facing this leg-spinner.
2) Moeen Ali: Ali plays the same role what Jadeja does for India. An effective all rounder mostly with bat but some time become useful in bowling too. Important fact about Ali is that he is a fine player of spin bowling which England need in Indian condition and could give important break through in bowling also.
3) Haseeb Hameed: This Indian origin young lad is England’s next big thing. His flawless batting in second innings of first test should give England a big hope. His biggest advantage is that he is a new player so his weakness is still to discover, though India will try find that as early as possible, else he could become a trouble for this India side.
4) Alastiar Cook: Without England skipper’s name this list is incomplete. He already proved his efficiency in 2012-13 series with a mammoth 562 runs in 4 test match series and by winning Player of the series award. Cook was the back bone of England batting line up in that series. Though his poor performance against Bangladesh few days back was a ray of hope for Indian side, Cook proved it wrong by scoring a century in the second innings of the first test against India. He is hot favorite to be the highest scorer of this series again.
Lastly we can add the name of Joe Root and Ben Stokes. Root is currently among the top batsmen in the world. He has also made a good start here, but against Indian spin he has to perform well in upcoming matches and Ben Stokes is now one of the best all rounder England have. With his destructive batting at any condition Stoke may become real threat for Indian side.
Which player from India and England are you looking forward to the most? Let us know in the comments below!
Photo by Jiv.Talking