Premier League is the most viewed league across the globe for its quality as well as competitiveness. Even the underdogs come up with surprise performances in every single gameweek.
This season is no different either as so called minnows like Leicester City, Watford, Bournemouth and Norwich City have delivered some inspiring and remarkable performances against big guns. Leicester City and Watford are doing exceptionally well. The foxes are very much in contention for a top four finish.
However, a few players have already set the season by storm in their debut Premier League campaign. Here is a list of the top five performers among them:
5. Anthony Martial: The transfer raised many questions when Manchester United paid £36 million (potentially rising to £58 million) to Monaco for a unproven 19 year old striker on the deadline day. Though the fee was a lot higher than the normal valuation, United’s gamble paid off. Anthony Martial has impressed us with his speed, skills and power along with calm and composed attitude. He scored his first goal in his first appearance for the club against Liverpool after coming on as a substitute late in the second half. Martial has already scored 8 goals in 23 outings in all competitions and has been the only bright spark for Manchester United in their disappointing campaign so far. He has been voted the FIFA Golden Boy 2015 for the promises he has shown for his club and country.
4. Dele Alli: The boyhood Liverpool fan was a prime target of the former Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers since last season. The transfer committee was not convinced with a 18 year old kid who used to play for MK Dons in the third tier of English football and was reluctant to pay £2 million for the prodigy. However, Spurs were aware of his potential and paid £5 million to MK Dons and bought him on 2nd February, 2015.
He was then loaned back to his former club for the remainder of the season. Alli, 19 now, impressed his boss Mauricio Pochettino in their pre-season friendlies and earned a spot in first team squad. He scored his debut goal against Leicester City in his second match after coming on as a substitute for Christian Eriksen. Later he registered his place in Spurs starting line up and has already scored 5 goals in 25 appearances in all competitions. He has been impressive with his physicality, tireless runs and box to box movements. He is not only assisting and scoring goals, but also screening their defense when necessary.
3. N’Golo Kante: Though Jamie Vardy and Riyad Mahrez of Leicester City are getting all the applauds, N’Golo Kante has been their most consistent performer from central midfield and a key figure in their recent success story. He moved to Leicester City from French side SM Caen for a fee around £5.6 million. He was mainly brought on to increase their bench strength; but surprisingly he has surpassed all expectations and benched veteran Gokhan Inler who arrived from Napoli with huge reputations. His passing accuracy, mobility and crucial interceptions played a pivotal role for Leicester’s successful 2015-16 campaign so far.
2. Odion Ighalo: The newly promoted Watford F.C. have shone under their Spanish manager Quique Sanchez Flores. Captain Troy Deeney and their star striker Odion Ighalo have been in fine form from the very beginning. Ighalo played a crucial role in Watford’s promotion to Premier League last year and has continued his good goal scoring run having scored 14 goals in 20 Premier League matches. He is currently the second highest scorer in the league and one goal behind Jamie Vardy and Romelu Lukaku. Ighalo is already being linked with Spanish giant Atletico Madrid alongside a few top Premier League clubs.
1. Dimitri Payet: West Ham United sealed the deal of Dimitri Payet in summer from French outfit Marseille for a fee around £12 million. Payet has started this campaign successfully and has been the driving force behind The Hammers decent run so far. He has already scored 5 goals and assisted 3 in 15 appearances in all competitions and has impressed with his dribbling skill, pace and passing accuracy. He has certainly lived up to the expectation and justified his value for his side.
Special Mention: There are plenty more who have impressed us in their debut Premier League campaign. Xherdan Shaqiri of Stoke City, Troy Deeney of Watfrod, Duncan Watmore of Sunderland, Andre Ayew of Swansea City and Georginio Wijnaldum of Newcastle United are the notable inclusions in English football who have already left their marks.