Ever wondered what it felt like to be the child of a Footballing Legend? People always want their offspring to emulate them to the very least and carry the legacy down the lineage. But, how often can those children live up to the eternal parental expectation when the father is revered to be one of the best footballers in the world? Well, let us take a look at some of them.
Zinedine Zidane‘s children:
- Enzo Alan Zidane Fernández (Enzo) [20 yrs] [Real Madrid Castilla] [CM/CAM] – The eldest son of Zizou was born in Bordeaux, France and later attained Spanish citizenship in 2006. He started his youth career in 1999 at the club whose jersey was donned by his dad. Yes, you guessed it right – Juventus. Enzo is eligible to play for France, Spain and Algeria, last one being the country where his grandparents hail from and his father is not really affected by which country his son would represent. Despite representing Spain under-15 side, he chose to play for the Les Bleus. He had joined the Real Madrid academy on 1st July 2004. Currently he is a squad member of Real Madrid Castilla. On the 29th of October 2015, he was promoted and is currently training with the senior squad under the guidance of Rafael Benitez.
- Luca Zinedine Zidane Fernández (Luca) [17 yrs] [Real Madrid Juvenil A(under 19 club)] [GK] – Luca Zidane started playing for the Madrid youth side in 2004. Ever since he started playing he has remained a Madridista. Maybe another Cassilas in making, Luca is the second in command among his brothers. However he seems to be more famous than his elder brother when he was called up for the French under-17 national team after a very impressive term in his youth career. This lad chose to become a shot-stopper rather than being an outfield player. Kahn, Buffon, Cassilas, Neuer, Luca – is that going to be the list of legendary goalkeepers? We wish him all the best for his career which is already skyrocketing.
- Theo Zidane [13yrs] and Elyaz Zidane [9 yrs] [Real Madrid Castilla] – These two kids are already in Real Madrid ranks and are toiling hard to reanimate the achievements of their legendary father.
David Beckham’s sons:
- Brooklyn Joseph Beckham [16yrs] – Here is the man who believes that he should have won the coveted title of “Sexiest Man Alive”. This is the latest we can get about this young lad. He is the eldest son of the Sexiest Man Alive as judged by the PEOPLE magazine. Currently Brooklyn is without a club. He has been to major academies of football powerhouses PSG, LA Galaxy and the latest being Arsenal, where he failed to impress the bosses. He couldn’t make a mark at there. He also had trials with Chelsea, Manchester United, Queens Park Rangers and Fulham before joining Arsenal academy. David and Brooklyn played in the UNICEF charity match on 14th November, 2015. He replaced his dad in that match- a moment to cherish! We wish him all the best for his future.
- Romeo James Beckham [13yrs]- The kid who starred in the Burberry Christmas campaign, Romeo represented Arsenal youth team that enjoyed a 3-2 win over Liverpool youth team and he scored the second goal for the Gunners, surely a delightful sight for his dad who traveled with Cruz (his younger brother) to watch him play. Currently, Arsenal expects to release Romeo. He might well follow his brother’s footsteps out of the club’s academy.
- Cruz David Beckham [10yrs]- Even we are delighted to report that he is still at the Arsenal academy and is set to stay there for some time. He’s too young to be declared a sensation or flop.
Paolo Maldini’s legacy:
- Christian Maldini [19yrs] [A.C. Milan Primavera] [LB/CB]- Christian plays for AC Milan Primavera- the under 19 team of A.C. Milan. He had a very good Primavera youth debut scoring a goal within two minutes against Perugia. He has been in the team since July, 2013 with a brief loan spell at Brescia Jugend. He is the grandson of Cesare Maldini and the son of Paolo Maldini. He has followed the footsteps of his father and grandfather who were rock solid at defence. Christian has followed the family tradition as he also plays for A.C. Milan and hopes to make a senior appearance as soon as possible. His father is one of the most decorated players with a World Cup and five Champions League titles to his name. We wish to see him in number 3 jersey of Milan, the jersey that has been retired by the club.
- Daniel Maldini [14yrs] [ AC Milan Primavera] [Striker] – Daniel is famous for tackling Clarence Seedorf at the age of five. Yes, you read that right. He is a bit special because he is a striker while his elder brother, father and grandfather are all defenders.
Gustavo Poyet’s son:
- Diego Poyet [20yrs] [M.K. Dons] [CM/CDM] – Gus is currently the manager of AEK Athens and has previously managed Sunderland. Son of Gustavo Poyet, Diego is on the roster of West Ham United, currently loaned to M.K.Dons. He started his carrer at Charlton Athletic and made his pro debut on 21 January 2014 in a 3-0 win over Oxford United in FA Cup. He was the Charlton Player of the Year for 2013-2014 season. West Ham secured his services in 2014-2015 season. However he was loaned out to Huddersfield Town for one month. Currently he is on loan at Milton Keynes Dons. Diego is Uruguayan who was born in Zaragoza, Spain and brought up in England and naturally can represent any of these 3 countries. He has already represented England in under-16 and under-17 levels, but is yet to decide on his future. The future definitely looks bright.
Edwin Van Der Sar’s offspring:
- Joe van der Sar  [Ajax under-19] [GK] – The son of the most capped player in Netherlands national team, Joe Van der Sar started his youth career in 2013 at Noordwijk youth setup and is reportedly making a name in Ajax which is a famous for nurturing world class players..Like many others he has dual nationality of England and Netherlands.
Do you think we missed some names? Well, let us know in the comments below.
(You may also like: Face-off between Rafael Nadal and Ronaldo)
Photo by voyages provence