Indian Super League’s youngest marquee player Elano Blumer currently leads the goal-scoring list with 5 goals in 4 matches. Astoundingly, his goal-to-match ratio of 1.25 is pretty impressive in Indian conditions and closely matches with that of Argentine star Sergio Aguero. Over the years, the Brazillian maestro featured for top clubs in Brazil, England and Turkey, also with a huge attacking role for his country.
1. He was the assist leader in Confederations Cup 2009.
2. He happened to be the top goal scorer for Manchester City in 2007-08 season and second highest in terms of assists. His form dipped a bit but also managed to be the third highest goal-scorer in 2008-09 season for City.
3. Mark Hughes criticised him for hurrying on to contract extension when City had other problems to resolve. On the other hand, the present Stoke manager also lauded him to be the ‘ Spot King’ and Elano still maintains his 100% penalty record.
4. In October 2007, Elano’s free-kick goal against Newcastle Utd was described as one of the best goals of that season and it later earned its place among the “Golden Goals” category of Manchester City.
5. He was Thomas Cook player of the Month in April 2008.
6. He was the first player from Ukrainian Premier League to get a call in Brazilian National Team. He was playing for Shakhtar Donetsk then.
7. In Galatasaray, Elano grabbed the number 9 shirt, previously belonging to Turkish legend Hakan Sukur who still holds the record of fastest goal in World Cup history.
8. On his return to Santos, he became the top scorer of 2011 Campeonato Paulista with 11 goals. Previously, his brilliance in the midfield helped Santos win Campeonato Brasiliaro in 2004.
9. Elano scored as many goals as Del Piero in the World Cup. He scored two for the Selecao in 2010 World Cup Finals and hereby the only Marquee player other than Del Piero to have scored in the biggest stage of the game.
10. His market value reached highest at 15 Million Euros which matches with the current market value of youngsters like Barkley, Calhanglou, Laporte, experinced campaigners like Blind, Mascherano, Pepe and Benteke.